Well, Monday night into Tuesday morning was a true test to my motherhood. It had already been decided that I would be staying home with Olivia on Tuesday, so that was a good thing. She woke up every 1.5-2 hours screaming. Not just crying, full-blown screaming. That has never happened to us before. We have had fussy nights, and wide-awake nights, but never screaming. We knew she had to be in pain, somewhere and she was not running a fever. We thought maybe it was her teeth, so we gave her teething tablets, and ibuprofen, which didn't really seem to help. All I could do was try and rock her and comfort her, which she hated and loved. I would hold her tight, and she would scream and try and get out of my embrace, and so I would lay her back down, and she would look at me with shock and scream so more. It was such a hopeless feeling. I just kept saying, tell me baby girl what's wrong? I know that's silly, but would that be nice?! At one point, I was walking her around the upstairs trying to soothe her, and went into the bathroom, and flushed the toilet. Surprisingly, that worked to stopped the screaming just long enough I could stick her pacifier in her mouth and rock her back to sleep for another couple of hours. Seriously, who would have thought repeatedly flushing the toilet would help??? There needs to be a better handbook for these sort of things.
Tuesday morning I was able to take her to her regular doctor and Dr. P discovered an ear infection in her right ear, which explained the screaming, and the virus called roseola, which explained the rash. Thank God for modern medicine. In the evening by time Olivia had her second dose of antibiotics, she was slowly becoming her happy self again. Plus, her appetite returned and she ate a really hearty dinner of tortilla soup and avocado that I had brewed in the crock pot all day.
Olivia did a lot of this yesterday:
Last night was amazing and almost felt like normal. She "woke" up 2 or 3 times, but only to nurse and to feel around for me to make sure I was still there.
So that is why I failed at blogging everyday for the past couple of days. I hope to hop back on and finish up strong, but who knows. Life is crazy.



No comments:
Post a Comment