Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Monday, May 9, 2011

Mother's Day, Mother's way

Dave kicked off my very first Mother's Day weekend with some Tiff's Treats delivered to my office.  Yes, I said weekend.  If you are familiar with my family and their ways, you will know that most days are celebrated for the entire weekend, or sometimes the entire week.  Birthdays, anniversaries, July 4th, Christmas, you name it.  Dave has really been a good sport about it, and now takes part in the over the top celebrating. 




Saturday we had a very nice and fun day.  Dave continued to spoil me by doing some serious deep cleaning in the house.  I'm almost embarrassed to admit that the house had not been given a real good deep cleaning since the week before I went into labor.  That was truly the second best present, after Olivia, of course.  Now my house is clean and thanks to my awesome husband for that. 

We then headed out and did some shopping, and had lunch at Wings and More, one of my favorites.  We stopped by the Copeland's house on our way home and got to spend time with Gammie and Grandpa.  Olivia was showing off lots of her tricks (rolling, sitting, talking, and push-ups!) and was having a blast with her grandparents. 

Sunday morning, Dave gave me another gift.  I was able to take a shower where I had time to shave my legs and wash my hair, and then get ready at my own pace.  This has been quite rare in my life lately, it's usually one or the other, or sometimes neither.  I felt like a new woman after my 30 minute shower.  It really is the little things.   

After we got ready and loaded up the Jeep, we headed to Harker Heights to spend the day with my parents.  It was a great day. 

We got to my parent's house while they were still at church.  We got in and made ourselves at home as we usually do.  Dave, Olivia and I spent some time in the backyard with my parent's dogs.  Dave was walking Olivia around the yard, pointing things out in the yard and just talking away to her.  He then took her to the pool and was dipping her toes in the water.  A million thoughts were running through my head.  I was thinking, "I hope she doesn't fall in.  Dave, don't drop her.  Dave, don't put her legs in too much, the water may be too cold.  Olivia should be wearing some sunscreen. Maybe I will go in the house and get her hat. I need to get her swimmer diapers, soon.  She needs another swimsuit.  Olivia needs to eat soon, and her diaper may need to be changed. My baby is 5 months old today. Holy. Crap. My baby is five months old today.  Another month until we start solids.  I hope we can wait that long.  She needs a nap.  Don't let me forget to pack her clean sheet for her crib at school. And some more wipes. Oh, and I need to defrost some milk for her daycare bottles." On and on and on and on.   

Then something clicked  and I thought to myself, "stop it, and enjoy this moment."  So I sat there, and just watched my husband hold my precious baby girl and dip her little feet in the pool.  Each time they would just sort of look at each other, both with a surprised face. 


There is seriously nothing sweeter in this world to me then seeing my husband with our daughter.  I love seeing both of their faces light up when they see each other.  I sat back and I enjoyed that momemt, and tried so hard to take it all in, and remind myself to never forget that very moment.  That moment was better than anything that could be bought or done for me on Mother's day.  A moment like that makes everything worth it.  Throughout the rest of the day I had more moments that I wanted to freeze.  I would just stand there and breathe it all in and try to remind myself to never forget this time in our lives.

Olivia's 48 hour doctor's appointment.
Olivia at 5 months old. (5-8-2011)

Olivia has blessed our lives in ways I cannot begin to explain.  Just typing that sentence brings happy tears to my eyes.  She just fits so perfectly.  I cannot get over how lucky we have been.  I was incredibly thankful yesterday to be in the mom club and also get to celebrate with my own absolutely incredible mother and my daughter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment