Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Friday, September 24, 2010

Bradley Method Birthing Class: #3

Three classes down, seven more to go.  The work weeks are flying by right now!  After each class I feel like we have marked a check off of another "baby to-do" item. 

This week's class we focused on nutrition, again.  Christina, the teacher, has let us know that she will not let up about how important eating well is, so she will continue to talk about nutrition a little bit each week to help keep us on track.  We also discussed the anatomy of the womb and all of the important components that are keeping baby and mommy safe right now.  Sure you can totally go through a successful labor and delivery without ever knowing these things, but it's really interesting to learn exactly what all is going on in there.

We also touched on breastfeeding a little bit.  The benefits and some things to expect concerning nursing. 

Another focus in this class was geared towards the husbands/coaches and what their roles will be during L&D.  Christina told the dads to start envisioning the actual day, and start thinking about what sort of things may arise that they need to take care of.   I've, of course, envisioned "game day" for quite sometime and therefore have already constructed a mental to-do list of things for Dave:

1) Make sure Thor gets looked after occassionally for the 24 hours we have to be in the hospital.
2) Contact our family members and let them know we are in labor, and also keeping everyone up to speed.
3) Being my main emotional & physical support system.
4) Take care of the logistical side of stuff such as the drive to the hospital, getting admitted into the hospital and having the overnight bag.
5) Advocating our birth plan to our hospital team for Olivia and I when I can no longer do it for myself. 

Anyone who knows knows me, knows how much I love lists!  I also have a list brewing for our overnight hospital bag, our birth plan, and things we still need to accomplish before O's arrival.  Yes, I'm well aware that not everything can always go as planned, but preparation is definitely key to success.  Plus it gives me a sense of control over the birth of our baby, when in reality baby is the one in total control of the situation.  I can only prepare for potential scenerios.   

We ended class by being assigned a research topic that we will have to present on in a couple of classes.  Dave and I are responsible for researching and presenting on prenatal vaginal exams.  Yipee! Haha.  Dave is thrilled, I'm sure!  Luckily, I already have an idea of what most hospitals do concerning these exams towards the end of pregnancy, the pros & cons of them and several options mom's have regarding these exams.   Our hospital only "requires" one internal exam at about 36 weeks of pregnancy and then they aren't concerned with doing another one until the 40th week or so, if you make it that far.      

Now on to the weekend :).

No comments:

Post a Comment