Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Friday, September 17, 2010

Bradley Method Birthing Class: #2

Like our entire lives, my blog has been completely taken over by this pregnancy and the highly anticipated arrival of our daughter.   I would apologize, but I'm not sorry, and I really cannot think of anything else more exciting than preparing for this baby girl.  I know a lot of people feel that it's necessary to maintain some semblance of their individuality as an independent adult when they are entering parenthood.  I do not feel that need at all.  I look forward to being known as Olivia's mommy, and I do not in anyway feel like that will be "stealing" my identity.  That being said, this blog will more than likely become WAY more dedicated to our daughter (and our eldest, Thor) as time passes.  Of course, I will also continue to update about Dave and I and the house and our families, etc. etc.

(My guys on the drive up to Harker Heights last weekend)

Speaking of which something I never mentioned in this blog is that Jay, my brother, is currently at Army Basic training in Georgia!  He decided about 5-6 months ago that he wanted to join the reservist and he was able to get an officer slot rather quickly.  I'm not quite sure his entire schedule, but I believe he finishes his first round of training in November, and then the second one ends in February.  Go Jay!  His ladies are spending this time with Claudia's family in Chicago and then Florida.  They are hoping to be able to travel to San Antonio for Christmas, so that will be an exciting family filled holiday if it all works out.

On to our 2nd birthing class.   It was just as good as our first one, if not a tad bit better because it was less awkward.  It's kinda funny to be in a room full of pregnant women and their husbands.  We are slowly learning everyone elses names and I was a little bit more comfortable asking and answering questions.

This class focused on pregnancy nutrition & relaxation techniques.  The Bradley Method pregnancy diet really focuses on getting in a ton of protein, as well as eating as fresh and nutrient rich as possble.   I had already taylored my diet to a lot of the recommendations, but I realized that I was not focusing on proteins as much as I should.  The recommendation is for 80-100 grams of protein per day.  On a good day I'm probably getting closer to 60-65 grams of protein, so some adjustments need to be made there.  Also, Dave and I both realized that we probably aren't eating as many leafy greens as we should, so we will start incorporating more of those into our dinners.  Other than that just keep doing what we are doing as far as diet goes. 

The main thing is to be prepared when it comes to eating well.  Plan the weekly menus out on the weekend.  Load up on veggies, fruits, lean proteins, and complete protein snacks like yogurt & cheeses and  other healthy snacks at the grocery store on Sunday.  Never leave the house  for work without a packed lunch, plenty of good snacks, and water.  One thing I like to do to prepare for lunches for the week is to buy all of our produce on Sunday and then clean, cut everything up, and portion it out for the week.  It makes packing lunches for Dave and I each morning much quicker, and we choose all the fruits and veggies first because all of the work has already been done.  I've realized that if I do not prepare my lunch and snacks ahead of time, and I'm caught away from home and get hungry I tend to make unhealthy food choices. 

I will mention that even after yesterday's class & being drilled about the importantance of a healthy diet, today has probably been the worst I've eaten in awhile!  My co-workers are trying to fatten me up :).  Oh, and I made this delicious cake on Sunday in honor of football and my inlaws coming over for lunch.  Oh, the shame because I had log in my piece(s) of cake into my food journal, but it was well worth it.   Hey, there was fruit on the cake....coated in butter and sugar, of course. 



Other than that this week has flown by.  On Tuesday, I had my 30 week doctor's appointment and it went well and rather uneventfully.  I got to hear baby, which is always fun.  I'm measuring a couple of days ahead, which is normal. And my weight gain and blood pressure are right on track.  I will have another doctor's appointment a week from Tuesday. 

And just because I love putting pictures in my blog & I take a million....

Thor was a cuddle bug with me on the floor while we were watching the Titans.



Thor napping on our bed.  I love those pillowcases behind him!  My cousin Krystal got those for us at my bridal shower.  I have loaded our bed with every single pillow that we own.  To get a good night's sleep and to find a comfortable sleeping position I literally have to stick a pillow under almost every limb, behind my back, and one under my belly.  I woke up and looked at Dave the other night and poor guy had only one pillow, and it was our flattest one! 

No comments:

Post a Comment