Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Friday, September 10, 2010

Bradley Method Birthing Class: #1

Warning: Long, detailed blog about our birthing class, followed by adorable pictures of Thor & one of pregnant me!  Scoll to the bottom if he is the one you are here to see.  :)

First, let me say that from as far back as I can remember I always knew that I wanted to experience as natural of a birth as I could.  I  have no clue when this thought originated, I feel like it's just always been a given for me.  I wasn't brought up by particularly green or crunchy parents, and they are in no way hippies.  My mom, however, vaginally birthed all three of us in military hospitals without any pain medication or unnecessary interventions.  She was allowed to spontaneously go into labor almost 2 weeks late with all of us, and then go to the hospital to deliver her rather large babies without an epidural.  Jay weighed 8lbs 4oz, I was slightly larger at like 8lbs 10oz, and Sarah was the big kahuna at 8lbs 15oz.  If Sarah had cooked a couple of more days she would have definitely been a 9 pounder!

So, I have always known that it is absolutely possible for me to birth a baby naturally without any pain medication or induction interventions.  The minute I found out I was pregnant I hit the research and reading trail to determine what type of birthing experience was the best for us.  There is so much information and misinformation out there about child birth, it's crazy.  The Bradley Birthing Method, which I had not been familar with before I started this research, jumped out to me.  Luckily, there are lots of Bradley instructors in our city and we were able to find and register for a birthing class that was ideal with our due date.  Dave then bought me two of the highly recommended Bradley Method books for Mother's Day:  Husband Coached Child Birth by Robert Bradley, M.D. and Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way by Susan McCutcheon-Rosegg.  We took turns reading these two books and they confirmed and encouraged my feelings towards the steps we were taking to prepare for our baby's birthday.  I did all of that before I was even out of the first trimester, so the future first class seemed like forever away! 

Last night the first class finally took place.  Typically, Bradley classes take place in a 12 class series, our class is a 10 class series with all of the same information, just in fewer weeks.  I was really happy with our teacher and our class size.  There are 7 couples total and all of us are first time parents!  There was one other lady who was further along than me, and she is due just 2 days before me.  All the other couples were due in December, January, and one in February.  Three of the babies are going to be surprises, and 2 are boys and 2 are girls.  The teacher made a joke about whether or not I will be there for the last class, which is on November 11, as I will be 38 weeks.   She then went on to reassure me that more than likely we will be because first time moms tend to go about a week over their due date.

The first class was a lot of review for Dave and I because we have read those two Bradley books already (dorky overachievers, I know).  This class focused on the goals of the method, the exercises we should be doing, and pregnancy nutrition.  I've been doing a lot of the floor exercises and stretches already, but it was nice to get an in person demonstration and then practice the exercises infront of the teacher.  We also have several "homework" assignments for the week.  I've been given a workbook & student handbook where I'm suppose to log in everything I eat all day for the next week.  This should be relatively easy for me because I usually journal it anyways.  The only possible changes this week will be my food choices, because I know these entries are going to be reviewed!  We've also been asked to practice this butterfly stretch with our husbands, do 50 Kegels a day, and practice one of the relaxation techniques.  Easy enough!  Maybe I just liked school too much and miss it, because my ears seriously perked up when she mentioned homework.  :)



So far I'm happy with our decision about these classes and I'm also so happy that Dave is so on board with all of this.  It made me so proud when he knew a lot of the answers to questions that were asked about birthing statistics in the U.S.!  All in all a successful first class and that is how we will be spending our Thursday evenings for the next 9 weeks. 


Dave took this picture of me this morning;  I woke up feeling particularly pregnant.  

Some other iPhone pictures that I have recently taken of Thor :

   
Crazy dog loves to nap in this position.  If he is comfortable enough he will stay like this for awhile and just follow me with his eyes as I'm piddling around the house. 


New rug, not meant for him even though he thinks it is. 


Dave & I will sit and watch T.V. and Thor will sit and watch us. 

So now it's Friday and I'm looking forward to the weekend!  Filled with house chores and a trip to Killeen to visit my aunt&family, and sister and Dad while my mom makes a quick trip to NYC/Chicago for the weekend.  This is my mom's first flight alone in 28 years!  I'm doing lots of praying for a safe trip for her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment