Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Monday, August 2, 2010

Rockport - Summer 2010

Rockport with the Copelands


What a fun trip!  Sort of as a last minute planned fishing trip (planned a couple of weeks in advance), Reese, Annette, Dave and I headed to Rockport, Texas.    Rockport is about 5 hours southeast of Austin right by the gulf.  It's a really small, nice and quaint Texas town that is completely fueled by the fishing business in this area. 

We headed out of town bright and early on Friday morning from the Copeland's house and arrived in Rockport around 1:30pm.  We were able to check in right away and headed to our cabin on Copana Bay.


The Bay House was absolutely adorable.  It was a 1 bedroom with a loft house.  It had a fully equipped kitchen, dining table, washer & dryer, full bathroom and a little living room.  The view from the house was absolutely gorgeous.  We could see our pier and the open water, and in the evening we had a great view of the sunset! That was my favorite part.


This was were Dave and I stayed, up in the loft.  The light in the loft was great.


The sunset from the house.  Also, there were ducks everywhere!  They were really good looking ducks, too.  You can tell that the locals and all visitors keep them all well fed.  On the last morning that we were there I took all of our left over bread and fed it to the ducks.  I started out feedind about 8 ducks and by the time I was done with the bread I was surrounded by about 20 ducks and 2 geese. 



Friday night we did fishing from our pier.  It was sooo convienent and fun to do.  I also throroughly enjoyed the fact that there was a bathroom so close by :).  We did not have much luck the whole weekend.  Everyone caught a couple of fish each, but unfortunately, it was not anything we could keep.  It was still really nice to be out there.


On Saturday morning, Dave and Reesee took the kayaks they picked up in Port Aransas the day before out for a daytime fishing excursion.   They loaded them up with fishing rods and packed backpacks with water and all the bait they would need for the afternoon and headed out. 


They headed out around 6:30am after Dave cooked us all breakfast.   They had several coves and bays they planned to head to. 

Annette and I stayed at the house for a couple of hours before heading out to downtown Rockport to visit the local shops.  We went to a quilt store, a woodshop store, and a couple of local stores, too.  We then headed back to the house to wait for the guys.  Dave & Reese got back to the house around 12:30 and unloaded, showered and then we all ate lunch at the house.  Although they were empty handed they still had a good time out there.  Dave finally got his fishing & kayaking itch scratched!

Saturday we all headed to Port Aransas to return the kayaks. Loading the ferry to get across was miserable!  It took us about 2 hours to board the ferry for a 3 minute ferry ride.  Once over there we returned the kayaks and turned around and headed back to Rockport.  Getting off of Port A was much quicker!

We ran a couple of errands in preparation for our second night of fishing.  Then headed back to the Bay House and started cooking dinner.  Annette had planned a contingency meal, just in case we had not caught anything we could eat!  We had steaks, potatoes and watermelon followed up with a yummy blueberry and peach cobbler.

After dinner Dave got all of the fishing rods ready and we headed out.  I seriously had to pretty much bathe in bug spray anytime I was outside in the evening.  For whatever reason the mosquitoes will find me in a big group of people.  I even get bitten through my clothing if I don't apply a layer over my shirt & shorts.  It's crazy. 


We were using live shrimp and I was finally able to grab my own bait and bait my rod.  For whatever reason it gave me the hibbie-jibbies.  Maybe because the shrimp was still alive and I had to poke the hook through it's HEAD!



Dave, Annette and Reese.


David fishing.


We were able to take a group picture outside of the Bay House on our last morning once Dave figured out the timer settings.  The group shot turned out great!


Reese & Annette.


Dave, Olivia and me.  I love trying to get as many pre-baby pictures as we can.  I can't wait to one day tell Olivia all of the cool things we have done this summer, the summer before she was born.  She has been on amusement park rides, kayaking, swimming, hiking, fishing, through a move, lots and lots of shopping and hopefully many more fun things to come while she is still in my belly! I also can't wait until this time next year when she will get to be in our family pictures as well.

Can't wait to do this again next summer!

1 comment:

  1. Last minute trips always seem to be the best! Looks like you had the best time!

    ReplyDelete