I have been alive for 25 years now. Twenty-five years. 300 months. I'm officially, officially, officially an adult and out of my early twenties. I'm now on the upward swing towards 30 years old. I'm not quite sure how I feel about all of this...
On one hand, I feel a sense of urgency of what I still want out of this life, and how quickly all of these 25 years have already passed me by. But on the other hand, I also feel slightly accomplished in life, what I have seen and done, and where I am after these past 300 months.
I am so incredibly blessed that it often makes me wonder what I did to deserve some of the great things in my life. There are so many ways we are a lucky family, Dave and I. We never go hungry, we have clothing, we own our home, we love our neighborhood and little community (so far), we have great jobs and great educations, we have supportive and involved parents, siblings, and extended family, we have love and a deep respect for one another, we are growing a baby whom we both love so deeply already, and we have the best dog ever. The list could actually go on and on.
My biggest concern as I look back on my 25 years of life is that time is seriously going by too quickly. I want to enjoy these days, weeks, months and years to come as our family grows. Our lives are about to irreversibly change for the better. I want to truly enjoy these these last 3 months as a couple before we meet our baby and officially become a family of three. I know that it may be difficult at times as I continue to get closer to delivery, but I don't want to take this time for granted.
I also want to focus on living in the moment of every activity that we are going to do once Olivia gets here. I want to relax more, and focus on those things that I can control, and not worry about the things I can't control.
I want to be a better wife to my husband. I want to say I love you to him more. I want to raise our children with 100% of my effort and energy towards making our kids strong and productive individuals. I want to live up to the high standards that my own mother has set as far as being a working mom while being the most nurturing and caring mother I have ever met.
Career wise I also want more. I was blessed with a wonderful entry-level paralegal position a semester before I graduated from grad school. However, I've reached somewhat of a plateau with my current job. I do like it, don't get me wrong, I just know that it may be time to grow professionally elsewhere. Then I reach the next question of: what next? Stick with the paralegal career field? get my alternative teacher certificate? go back to my first true love of Social Work? stay at home mom? (<---haha, just trying to see if Dave will read this :) ). So many options, and so many things to consider professionally...but at 25, I think that is pretty typical. The goal is to eventually find that position that I love and never ever dread going to on Monday morning.
All in all I could not be happier with life right now. It may be the happy pregnancy hormones talking, but right now at this very moment I'm completely satisfied with life.
I feel you expressed some of my same feelings! It seems to be somewhat of a struggle to find the balance between motherhood, career, family time, etc.
ReplyDelete