Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Friday, November 4, 2011

Running

Today was the first time in a really long time that I actually felt like running again.  I used to love to run and did it almost everyday.  At my peak I was running 25-30 miles a week.  Mostly 2-5 mile runs and a long distance run, 5+ miles on the weekend. 

I was walking to Olivia's daycare at lunch, and I think it was the cooler weather that made me feel like running again.  So I actually jogged most of the way, about .5 miles to her daycare.  I was in my work clothes, and I wasn't wearing the best running shoes, but at least they were flats.  It felt amazing.  I think I'm ready to start picking it up again.  We don't have a jogging stroller, but the stroller that we do have would work I think.

Aside from not having much time to work out, I have been reluctant to start running for a bunch of reasons.  I didn't want to take any time away from the time that I did have to spend with Olivia.  I irrationally felt like I was being selfish; this is a conflicting feeling I often struggle with.  I know that it is important to take care of myself, but I feel better when I am able to give Olivia 100% of my time and my energy.  So mentally I just wasn't into.  I have also been afraid of what working out would do to my breast milk supply.  I know I could just eat more to compensate for the calories burned, but I have been able to lose all the baby weight,plus some, and keep it off just by eating healthy and breastfeeding.  Because the weight has come off rather effortlessly, I have not been very motivated to do much.  And trust me, I am not in anyway bragging about losing the baby weight so easily.  This is a very new phenomenon for me.  It has never been easy for me to keep my weight down, I used to smell food and gain 5 pounds.  I truly don't know what the change has been.   
Jenny & I before the San Antonio Marathon - November 2006


Jae and I after the San Antonio 1/2 Marathon - November 2007


Jenny & I - after the Austin AT&T 1/2 Marathon - February 2007


Today I missed those good feelings I used to get from running.  I'm not making any promises to myself or anyone about how much running I will actually set out to do.  It's killer to get back into shape after taking such a long hiatus, but hopefully I will get at least one decent run in this weekend!!!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck getting back into running! One way I look at exercising with Harper in a stroller is that he is able to see and hear things he wouldn't otherwise. And some kids love going for a ride. :)

    ReplyDelete