At her follow up flu shot appointment I pulled the trigger and have not regretted it since. She looks beautiful, not that she didn't beforehand, but we love the earrings. She looks like our little beautiful Mexican baby girl.
It is such a cultural norm in the Hispanic culture, so I clung to that as my reason to get Olivia's ears pierced. Everytime I would see a baby with her ears pierced I would get a pit in my stomach, and usually ask her parent's when did they pierce her ears, and how'd she do with it. I knew I wanted to have them pierced, but I had no idea I would be so conflicted leading up to getting them done.
I am forever trying to identify with being Mexican-American in any way that I can. I know that this may all sound silly, but I really struggle with feeling Mexican enough at times. I don't speak Spanish and my last name is Copeland. I am blessed that I at least look the part, so many will at least give me the benefit of the doubt. So mainly for cultural reasons, and some vanity, and some "right of passage" jazz, I decided that I wanted to pierce Olivia's ears at an early age.


No comments:
Post a Comment