Olivia has been showing signs of being a little under the weather. Dave and I have been keeping a close eye on any new and persisting symptoms. I think we are a little bit hypersensitive because the first and last time that Olivia was sick with the ear infection, we had no idea.
We've been taking her temperature obsessively, and she seemed fine. She has had a cough and congestion and we were afraid that would lead to another ear infection. Yesterday, I mentioned her symptoms to her two teachers and I made a note about them on her daily chart. When I went to visit at lunch, one of her teachers mentioned that Olivia seemed to be tugging at her right ear and was particularly fussy. So off to the doctor we went.
It was such a relief to be told that Olivia's ears looked great. The doctor said she thinks because Olivia is actively teething and slightly congested there may be pressure in her ears, which would be why she was tugging at one. I've been looking for signs of teething for months, and I guess that time is now upon us. She is only slightly droolier and slightly fussier. I felt like the fussiness has been from her somewhat clingy stage right now, but it may just be due to the teething.
In further Olivia news, she is now full-blown on her hands and knees crawling! She still scoots, and also does a strange pulling her legs forward in a sitting position sort of scoot, but she is also crawling at times. It's amazing to see. I can't get enough of it. Oh! And the pulling herself up has gotten crazy! She tries to pull herself up on anything and everything.
Olivia is also selectively waving goodbye. I can tell she is mimicking the wave, but I don't believe she really knows what is going on. It is very cute nonetheless.
Another new development right now that I’m not particularly fond of is her crying when I leave her at daycare. It’s only happened a handful of times, but it can really send me off to work in a cruddy mood. I’m so torn up about it, but I know it’s a totally normal stage that can go on for months (I’ve heard years, but I refuse to believe that.) Right now, I’m just trying my best to hang out for a little bit, and then give a big hug, and kiss, place her with some buddies, and wave goodbye from the door. I’m trying not to prolong my departure, but also make it pleasant. All I really want to do when I see her crying when I leave is run back to her and squeeze her, and take her with me.
I know she knows that we love her, but it’s really hard to leave your baby when she is crying. I have considered swapping drop-offs with Dave, but I couldn’t imagine not dropping her off everyday. Plus, I’m still nursing her right before I drop her off, and I don’t want to give that up, yet. We will pull through this.
No comments:
Post a Comment