Developmentally, Olivia seems to be doing well. She is sitting up completely unassisted. She will occasionally tumble over, but more and more it's becoming intentional. Olivia has started scooting and is quickly gaining speed at this new skill. She is also able to get up on all fours and will rock back and forth a little bit before she collapse back to her tummy.
Olivia is always busy! Gammie says that Olivia has two speeds, very awake and asleep. She is in constant motion when she is awake. She loves toys and has a couple of favorites already. We have a couple of packs of "busy balls" and she loves to scoot after them. She is becoming really good at transferring the ball from one hand to another.
Last weekend we introduced a couple of foods to Olivia. She was offered avocado and bananas. The jury is still out on whether she liked these two new flavors or not. From the looks of her face when she tasted them you would of thought we had given her something horrible, but she continued to keep bringing them to her mouth for more tasting. So who knows. We are attempting the Baby Led Weaning approach to food introduction, but may have to modify it as we see fit.
We are still anticipating the teething stage, but so far, no signs of any teeth.
The other day I absentmindedly took something away from Olivia when I went to pick her up and she got visually upset. That was definitely a first, and although it was adorable at the time, it was also quite scary. Sort of a little look into the future and what a mild tantrum may eventually look like. Although, I immediately gave her back whatever she was playing with, it was interesting to see her make that conscious effort to express that she was upset. Like I said, ubberly cute now, but I would imagine it loses its cuteness in the future.
Olivia had her 6 month check-up today and currently weighs 14 pounds and 11 ounces, and is 24.25 inches long. Everything seemed to check out well and the doctor said that Olivia looked great. We love our pediatrician, but we do not exactly see eye to eye on the introductions of food. She is very persistent on starting with rice cereal, then purees, the food, etc. She also said that soon Olivia should be on 3 meals a day. I just smile and say, yes. I know she is a doctor and all and I do not disagree with her at all when it comes to medical matters. I feel like how we feed Olivia should be left up to mommy and daddy.
That being said Dr. P discovered the beginning of an ear infection in Olivia's right ear. My poor baby! Olivia showed no signs that her ear was bothering her, but I still felt pretty terrible when I heard this. Dr. P prescribed a 5 day dose of azithromycin which we began last night. Dave was pretty traumatized having to administer the antibiotics to Olivia. Who knew that it would be that hard?! The medicine was cherry flavored! And I give Olivia vitamin D drops and that is no where near as difficult as it was to give her the antibiotics. Olivia was thrashing, and moving her head and would spit the medicine out. The meds were everywhere, on her, on me, on Dave, on her clothing and in her hair. I know we will eventually get the hang of it, but that first time was rough.
We monitored her for the next couple of hours. I used to be allergic to certain strains of penicillin when I was a baby, which is why she was prescribed the azithromycin rather than the usual amoxicillan. Olivia seemed to be doing well, but she seemed incredibly tired and fell asleep by 6:30 last night. Olivia woke up at 4a.m. with a 101.6 fever. Since then the fever has gone down, and come back up, but not reaching any higher than the 101.6 degrees it was at first. Hopefully the medicine will do its job over the next couple of days and we kill this infection. Today I am home with my baby, who is currently napping on me in the Ergo, and Gammie will watch Olivia for us tomorrow. Thank God for grandmothers!!!

Picture taken yesterday morning before heading out for work.
6/8/2011 - 6 months old
Wow, has it really been six months? :-)
ReplyDelete