Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Thursday, June 11, 2009

dum dum da dum...dum dum da duuuuuum

I little update as far as wedding planning goes….

Dave and I have decided on a place for the wedding ceremony to take place and I have done all of the leg work needed to get approval for a ceremony there. We would like to marry at the Mission San Jose in San Antonio, Texas. Mission San Jose was built in the early 1700’s and is still an active Catholic Church to this day. It is absolutely gorgeous both inside and out and it has that historical look about it that I love. I think growing up in Europe makes me really appreciate buildings that are hundreds of years old and in the States that is very hard to find. A Target that is 10 years old is considered historic in America.


Anyways, the Mission will do a non-denominational wedding so long as you bring your own minister and provide a letter confirming his agreement to marry you. Well, all of that is done and now we are just waiting to hear back from Alice, the church’s wedding lady, about whether we are approved to get married there or not. I don’t think there would be any reason for a rejection, but I am still nervous until we hear back from her. So please everyone keep their fingers crossed for an approval to get married at the Mission San Jose. If not, I feel like we will have to start from ground zero for what would feel like the third time!!!

As far as a wedding reception site, there is one that I plan on visiting in the next couple of weekends to see if it will do. I’m excited about it because it has almost everything that I want in a reception, table service, dancing area, enough room for a sit down dinner and room for creativity on our part. Hopefully that works out for us, if not we will continue looking.

Something that I have found that is really working in our favor is that our wedding will be in the winter. Prices seem to be a little more reasonable and dates have been completely open so far, with the exception of a later wedding ceremony time. I have also done a little research and discovered that the closer to the wedding date that we wait to book outside vendors (ie: DJ, cake, flowers) the better the price will be. I’m hoping that is true, but I don’t want to walk the fine line of not being able to nail down that stuff with enough time to go.

We are less than 7 months away till the wedding and besides invitations and the reception site, one thing that I really need to do is to pick out bridesmaids dress and my dress. I have made 3 appointments at 3 different bridal shops to try some dress on for the 27 of June. I’m really excited about this date! I’ve invited several ladies to include my mom, my mother-in-law to be, Sarah and Sam. Kelly will be out of town that weekend and Jenny lives far far away. Hopefully everything will fall into place. Price, dress, fit, order time, stuff like that.

The details and things and money that goes into a wedding really seems a bit ridiculous as I am right in the middle of all of this. At times I really feel a little uncomfortable and even morally conflicted about spending so much money and effort into a one-day event. I often think about how easily it would be to either just elope or for Dave & I to go to the courthouse one day and get it all over with. Then a part of me, deep down, knows how much I would regret that. I feel as though our wedding will truly be about the celebration of our decision to commit to each other indefinitely. I want pictures of that decision and I want people to eat, drink and be merry celebrating our marriage to one another. It’s a huge decision to marry and when it feels so very right, as it does in my case, it makes me want to share that with all of our friends and family.

I’m also desperately trying to make myself relax about some of the wedding planning that has to take place. I can see the possibility of becoming a bit uptight as the big day draws near and I really want to avoid that for the sake of my sanity and the sake of our relationship. (Dave usually has to take about 90% of my irrationality and my mom the other 10%). So I often take a step back and breathe and then remember why we are doing this madness in the first place, and the reason is: for love.

No comments:

Post a Comment