So it has all been very nice for us, and happened out of trial and error, and realizing this was what worked best for our family.
Well, last night for the first time ever, Olivia fell off of the bed in the middle of the night. I still feel terrible about it, and I have no idea how it happened because usually she is pretty contained between the two of us, and pillows at the foot of the bed. Thank goodness Olivia was not injured at all, and she just cried for a short time before nursing and then going back to sleep. I was a nervous wreck though, and stayed up for a couple of hours after the fall, just to make sure she was okay, and was continuing to breath.
So now it's time to consider how to prevent this from happening again. Although she has been mobile for many months now, she isn't particulary squirmy in the middle of the night. It's usually quite the opposite, she will somehow link her little arms or legs around my arms or legs and stay latched and fastened pretty tightly. I just don't want her to ever take a tumble from our bed in the middle of the night like that again.
There are a couple of options for us. We can take our bed off of the frame, and that would lower it closer to the ground, considerably. Or we can attempt to make her crib, which is currently being used as a very beautiful and expensive laundry hamper in her room, into a co-sleeper to our bed. I have seen this done here on this page, and I would love to try this first.
This is exactly the same set-up that we have. I love it. We all get our own space, Eli spends most of the night in his crib, but he's still right there if he wakes up and wants to nurse. Co-sleeping has been a lifesaver for us. I hope it works for you, too. :)
ReplyDeleteI think this post might finally make me write about our own sleeping issues and arrangements :-) Co-sleeping rocks :-)
ReplyDeleteSO glad to hear from some other co-sleeping/bedsharing families!!! Aside from some of my family members, I do not know many people in this area that are co-sleepers, so it's often hard to relate their sleeping issues and vice-versa.
ReplyDeleteWe would often co-sleep early in the morning when we want to get another hour or two of sleep. If it's much longer than that, Harper gets so squirmy he needs his own space. I hope your new arrangement works for you!
ReplyDelete