I have a big family and it just keeps on getting bigger and bigger each year! Our Christmas family tradition has almost always been to make it to my maternal Grandparent's house somehow. Even when we lived overseas we would 95% of the time make it to San Antonio for the holidays. Santa sure had a wonderful way of tracking us, because he always make it to the right house. Christmas this year felt and was really big. Big in food, family and fun! All of my mom's brothers and sisters and all of my cousins were able to make it the my Mama and Popo's house, even my in-laws-to-be were there! YAY! The only family missing was my brother's family, who spent their holidays in Chicago this year.
Christmas Eve was spent making tamales for most of the day. It was so much fun, this was the first time in about 10 years I have been part of a Tamalada, and the first time ever my mom's side of the family made tamales.
Christmas Eve was spent making tamales for most of the day. It was so much fun, this was the first time in about 10 years I have been part of a Tamalada, and the first time ever my mom's side of the family made tamales.
Contreras Tamalada 2009!
Teamwork!!!
Some of our finished products.
Dave, Sarah and I "hanging out" outside on Christmas Eve.
Sarah and Dave playing Just Dance on Wii.
Mom & Sarah dancing. Mom was a pro after awhile even though Sarah has professional training.

Dad, Adan and Dave during our Battle of the Sexes game.
The men's team, aka The Dream Team during Battle of the Sexes.
My cousin, Kinnidi Marie, trying to play Wii, too!
Sarah trying her first tamale, ever. She needs to get out more.
We (my immediate family) also opened most of our gifts that we were giving to one another, which is sort of a tradition in our family. This tradition really throws Dave off because growing up he wasn't able to/didn't want to open a single gift before Christmas morning. He has been a sport though! My dad and I are also the WORST secret keepers when it comes to gifts, so it's better to open them early before we ruin the surprise. OH! And we danced & dance! My mom bought Sarah a new Wii game called Just Dance, and it was so much fun (that what those two pictures above of Mom, Sarah & Dave looking like crazy people). We must have danced for a couple of hours, so much so that I was sore the next day. I loved it.
Christmas Day was wonderful! Aside from getting a flat tire on the Jeep, everything went off without a hitch. Dave and I started out our day with a little jog and then we all went to visit my paternal Grandparents. We were not able to make it to my other side of the family's Christmas, unfortunately, because there was just so much going on. Dave's Mom & Dad joined us at my Mama & Popo's house. I loved that we were still able to spend Christmas day with the Copelands, and with my parents as well. There was a gift exchange, a white elephant game, Just Dance on the Wii, lots and lots of eating, and talking.
Annette, Dave, Reese and I on Christmas Day in San Antonio
Dave, Dad, Mom, Sarah & I on Christmas day at Mama & Popo's house.
Our traditional Left-Right White Elephant type game. Our family circle has really gotten bigger.
My little family. We were trying out Popo's Christmas gift.
The only ones left in the Jimenez household. Haha.
My niece, Ava, in her Christmas outfit in Chicago. Precious baby!
Christmas always comes and goes way too fast, but I was excited about how everything turned out. We really had a great time. Christmas night, Dave and I spent at Mama and Popo's one more night because we needed to get the flat tire fixed. We finally found a shop right by the house that wouldn't charge an arm and a leg to plug 3 holes. We then spent the rest of the day running wedding related errands with my Grandma, Sarah and Mom. Mom finally bought her wedding dress!!!! I was sweating it! She kept saying, "oh, I'll find something, don't worry"....but we were just 14 days away and she still did not have a dress. Luckily, the 3rd dress she tried on was perfect!
We finally got back to our house Saturday evening, and spent the rest of our weekend literally doing nothing other than house chores, and catching up on our Netflix movies. We did pick up some firelogs and had a nice fire going almost all day on Sunday.
Ohhh, our fireplac ablaze!
Thor also enjoying the fire.
Next up, Christmas with the Copelands! Jeani, Mike and Reese come into town on January 1st and we will be having a Christmas meal at Annette & Reese's home. I'm beyond excited about finally getting to meet Dave's brother and sister in law, and especially his nephew! They have been living overseas and have been able to come to the states and spend Christmas with Jeani's family and be here for the wedding, as well.
Then following the New Year...dumdumdum, the WEDDING. Whew. I get knots in my tummy everytime I realize it really is just around the corner. Not because I am nervous in anyway to get married, or anything like that. It's more about the realization that there is so much to be done before the wedding. I know deep down that everything will work out as it is meant to, but I love being prepared. It's my A-type personality. I was told by multiple family members over Christmas to just relax and it will all work out. To most people that may seem rude, to be told to relax. I welcome it. I sometimes just need the reminder to CHILL OUT. lol.
However, my favorite quote, the one I have tried to live by:
"The will to succeed, means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
This quote has kept me going many times when I have wanted to quit. Like studying during college and for my masters, when I was working as a waitress, when running my first marathon, or even now at work when I don't give an important project my 100% effort. This quote has also helped me stay on my toes about this wedding jazz! Plus, this quote allows me to rationalize for my neurotic tendancies. :)


















No comments:
Post a Comment